Friday, December 16, 2011

Saying Good-Bye

I hate saying good-bye.  I really, really, really do.

I had to say good-bye today.  Good-bye to some marvelous co-workers whom I've worked with for over three years now, good-bye to families I've known for anywhere from a year to three years, good-bye to a classroom of 2 and 3 year olds who have completely won over my heart and good-bye to a job that I thoroughly loved.

I am beyond thrilled to soon be embarking on a whole new career, but still a part of me is very sad about leaving behind such a big part of who I am.  I have devoted my life thus far to teaching children, other people's children, and it makes me very sad to know that that is no longer going to be a huge part of who I am.  I will now have my own child to teach and although that fills with me with great joy, I'm still sad for the loss of who I have been for so very long.

So, today I said good-bye to much more than the people and children I have grown to love.  I said good-bye to a part of my identity that I have cherished, good-bye to a profession that I love and support more than any other and good-bye to my life as a working woman.  I don't know what the future will hold - I don't know if I will be a stay at home mama forever, a few months or a year or two.  But, I do know that for at least the next six months my job will take place at home and although that makes me so very happy, I can't help but be a little sad at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment