Friday, July 29, 2011

When One Door Shuts, Another Opens

Birdie was our black lab, a person trapped in a dog's body.  She had been with my husband since she was a pup, traveling with him from Virginia to California.  Birdie was a light in our lives.  She kept me company whenever Mark was away on work, which often was 300 days out of the year.  Birdie was one of the few people I told all my secrets too and besides Mark and Bruce (our other dog), the only person I talked to on a daily basis.  She was our everything. 

Unfortunately, on February 22nd we took Birdie into the vet's office as she just didn't appear to be herself.  After some antibiotics, x-rays and ultrasound, we found out on March 7th that our baby girl had advanced cancer that had spread to her liver, kidneys and lymph nodes.  The doctor gave an estimated two months left to live.  However, Birdie couldn't hold on that long.  On March 12th after picking Mark up from the airport we had to put Birdie down after a blood vessel in one of the tumors burst, leaving her bleeding internally.  It was one of the most difficult times in our lives and I still tear up thinking about her.

However, it is my belief that Birdie is the one who caused our miracle to happen.  Before we let her go, I asked her to send us someone else to love (I was thinking another dog).  Being the compassionate being she was, she listened to my request.  Two weeks after her death, she sent us someone new to love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment